SEO Basics – What Every Website Owner Needs to Know Part 2- Understand your prospect
(If you missed Part 1 of the SEO series click here)
Most searchers will use either Google or Bing/Yahoo. These search engines are most often used – and on which you should focus most of your keyword research.
Your prospect begins his or her search in the following manner:
- They need an answer or solution
- They write words to create a ‘query’ – which tells the search engine what terms to look for
- The search engine finds the most relevant and popular matches to the search and lists them in order
- The prospect looks as the results and decides which fits her needs most closely – by looking at the title and description
- The searcher clicks and is taken to a website, where they determine if the answers they’re searching for are there.
- If they don’t find what they’re looking for, they return to the search results to take another look at the list or perform a new search, using different search terms.
By understanding your audience, you can develop the most relevant answers to their questions and create SEO which will attract them to your website. Your business may have one or more ‘ideal’ audiences – spend time understanding each in terms of demographics and psychographics (buying behaviors). What makes them want to purchase from you?
Knowing your audience is the single most important step in marketing your business. If you don’t know with whom you’re communicating, how can you possibly ‘speak their language’?