As a business owner, you know you need at least 70 hours a day to get everything done. You feel overworked, under-appreciated and often overwhelmed. Everyone makes demands of your time – employees, managers, vendors and salespeople.
It’s easy to be seduced when you feel this way. Sadly, you are ripe for the picking. You get offers from self-defined ‘marketing’ firms promising to create an automated system ‘guaranteed’ to get new customers to visit.
They tell you Google and Facebook can be ‘fooled’ by keywords and get you to the top of search rankings with no work on your part. They make promises that their automated email campaign will bring you more business without you having to spend any time on it (But lots of dollars). You are sold on expensive ads designed by salespeople who have no design degree, no writing skills, and aren’t even thinking about your target audience.
You can throw away a fortune this way. Here’s the truth:
- Automated marketing systems have their place. They are fine for a few applications. However, most ‘drip’ campaigns sound canned and ‘salesy’, and studies have shown that people largely ignore them, or worse, form a negative association with the sender. They are the e-mail equivalent of the telephone ‘robo-calls’. Do you open them in your Inbox?
- Google and Facebook cannot be fooled. You can’t game the system. You are up against computer algorithms much more clever than you, and risk not only the money you throw away, but your business can be sent to Neverland and not show up in any search if you’re caught. We’ve written much on the subject of what does work – check out our other posts if you haven’t read those yet. You’ll be glad you took the time.
- Expensive ads in local papers, magazines, radio and television can be effective. Knowing when and where to advertise (and to whom) is key. Purchasing an ad because a salesperson caught you on the telephone and made it sound easy is not a good investment of your time or money.
- If you do purchase ad space, pay a professional to design the ad and write the content. Your local paper or radio station does not employ graphic designers or professional copywriters. You are going to invest a lot for these ads – make your dollars count by creating one that will actually work.
- Don’t ask everyone for advice unless they are truly a professional. People want to give their opinion, and often feel it’s their moment to be critical – without any background knowledge in neuromarketing, the psychology of linguistics, buying behavior, marketing influencers, design, and how a viewer processes visual images.
Just because you’re trying to fit 70 hours of work into a 16 hour day, don’t skimp on what’s important. No business ever succeeded without a great team. Here are a few suggestions about hiring the right marketing professionals:
- Hire a marketing team that not only creates a strategy and plan, but has the knowledge and ability to carry out all aspects of that plan.
- Your marketing team should be willing to meet with you on a regular basis to ensure your individual strategy and goals are being met. At least once a year, the entire plan should be reviewed and appropriate adjustments made. The ability to be flexible, and adjust with the needs of your business is crucial. Every business is unique – and every marketing plan should be as well. (We meet with our clients an average of once or twice per month – depending on their unique needs)
- Does your marketing team ‘take ownership’ of your business? Do they care about making you successful? If not, find one who does.
- We cannot stress enough that it is to your advantage to work with a team on a retainer contract. The level at which they will understand your vision and your business improves with time, like all good relationships. The better they know you, the better they can convey what is in your head and heart.
- Do they save you time and overwhelm? This likely won’t happen in the beginning, when they are getting to know you – but in a few months’ time, you should begin to reap the rewards of their knowledge – because they will automatically carry out your vision and plan without your having to constantly direct them.
The right marketing team – whose goal it is to not only get your ‘ideal customers’ to visit, but to create loyalty in your customer base- will pay for themselves many times over. Click here to see how we are different from other marketing teams. We feel invested in your business – we’re successful when your business grows!
You’ll save hours per day and thousands of dollars in wasted money and you’ll remember why you went into business in the first place – because you love what you do.